Case Study – Haylage supplier utilises natural resources
Location: Irby, Wirral
Brief: Hafod were appointed to undertake the renewable and heating installations at Eddie Fewtrells new build property in Irby on the Wirral. The client wanted the most sustainable from of heating available.
Execution: Hafod designed and installed an air source heat pump connected to a warm water underfloor heating system. The air source heat pump provides 100% of the heating and hot water. The Air source system is designed to operate at 35 degrees for the heating and will heat the domestic hot water up to 60 degrees which is plenty hot enough for baths and showers. A 210 litre hot water storage cylinder was selected for domestic hot water use which ensures the client will never run out of hot water.
- Underfloor heating using Uponor MLCP underfloor heating pipework laid on 120mm Kingspan Phenolic Insulation with a heavy gauge membrane barrier. 50mm Liquid screed was poured on top of the pipes to make up the finished floor. For the edge insulation, we used Kingspan insulation as an upstand (1 inch). We then taped 10mm foam onto this to provide expansion for the solid floor to allow for changes in temperature.
- Air source heating system using a Mitsibushi Ecodan 11.2 Kw Air to water heat pump with a 210 litre Solar ready pre- plumbed cylinder.
- Solar PV System using a 9.9kw system consisting of 36 x 275w SunEdison all black monocrystaline modules, Samil 10000 TL Inverter
- The Customer will benefit from low heating costs due to the air source heating being designed for optimum low flow temperatures of 35c. The Solar PV system will also help to run the air source heat pump. The combined approximate savings over oil is £400 per annum
- The Renewable heating incentive (Air Source) will earn the customer £500 per annum
- The feed in tariff (PV) will earn the customer approx. £1,400 per annum
The carbon footprint for the dwelling is dramatically reduced by using electricity from the solar panels and utilising renewable heat from the air and with all used technologies has resulted in an “A Plus” rated dwelling for haylage supplier.